Feel for Jane Doe

I stand outside myself and pretend 
 I am only an observer 
 Refusing to see what I don’t want to remember 
I resent being reminded 

 I hate those who do that 
and unfortunately, it is usually men 

 It is hard not to hate men 
But then I see Tony mopping the spa 
He says good morning 
I say good morning 
He talks about the weather 

And I think of my son 
He will never do that 
He stands up for justice and equity 
He treats women with respect and kindness. 

 I walk into the community shower room 
 It is dark 
 The motion sensor failed 
Did someone disable it? 
I fear for my life 

 I go for walks 
Fearing torture 

The world is not safe for women 
We need to do more to make it safe 
Men have no concept 

I wake up feeling 
angry melancholy withdrawn 
like I felt the morning after 

I need to unplug 
from all of these reminders 

My husband wonders why I am quiet 
I don’t want to talk about it 

I feel like crying 
I need to cry 
but I am too angry to cry 

I need to unplug 
but I am too angry to unplug 

I am stuck 
but I refuse to be stuck 

I am trapped 
vicious cycles of reminders
negative emotions, processing 
processing processing 

 I dip into the silky warm pool 
 glide weightless 
weight lifted by water 
the ultimate survivor 
over under around through 

Fifty-four years since it happened
the first time 
I am a survivor 
I feel for Jane Doe 

I am a Jane Doe 
My perpetrators are out there 
unpunished 
Are they reminded of what they did 
when they see these headlines? 
Do they dismiss what they did 
as if it was not that bad? 
Do they lie to themselves and say that I wanted it? 
Do they blame me for what they did? 
Do they have any idea how much they hurt me?
How it would affect my life, my relationships? 

 Feel for Jane Doe

Comments